Thursday, October 9, 2008

How I Walked, And Why.

For my first recorded drift, I explored the downtown area and the east side of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I chose to walk in an algorithmic pattern, specifically:

3rd right, 1st left, 3rd right, 1st left, etc...

The nature of my walk however, seemed to be beyond my algorithmic preference. I had to change my pattern once, and I made a few "mistakes" along the way. The change came at the corner of State and Jackson, when the algorithm became:

3rd left, 1st right, 3rd left, 1st right, etc...

I did this to avoid coming to a dead end at the edge of Lake Michigan. But other than that, I never intentionally strayed from my algorithm - with the exception of this short detour on Park Road. The scenery was beautiful, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to record new sounds (even if they didn't end up turning out).

I ended my drift at a bus stop on the corner of Downer and Lake. I waited thirty-five minutes for the bus, but it never came. It seemed a fitting end that I should walk home.

No comments: