Monday, October 13, 2008

We're Going Straight Home After Lunch.

Across the street from Back Bay Park, I captured a very complex sonic environment. The first half of the recording inspired in me a sense of place: In hearing these sounds (specifically, the car stereo and the cicada), my mind navigates directly to an emotion that corresponds to summer days from my childhood. This feeling is abstract; I cannot accurately explain in words the memories that it recalls. But it does exist and is very distinct in my mind. So, the first half of this recording is very personal for me. The second half is quite personal as well, but for somebody else - actually, three different people:
a mother, a father, and a daughter. At first glance, they might have seemed like a stereotypically happy family enjoying a beautiful summer afternoon in the park. But my recording suggests otherwise. It suggests a tension that is trying to be masked by kind euphemisms ("...Daddy's being silly.") Listen.

The images I photographed also hint at some conflict hidden beneath the tranquility of a beautiful day. The "Dead End" sign stands out as the most obvious symbol.


September 21, 2008
12:22 P.M.

No comments: